Saturday, August 15, 2015

   I recently read a post on MindBodyGreen talking about overthinking what your supposed to be doing in life- i.e. what your 'true calling' is.  Of course I can't seem to drudge up that article to reference now, which it too bad, because it really struck a note with me.  It basically stated that we are all--or a good majority of us anyway--daydreaming about how amazing it would to be doing x, y, or z all day instead of what we currently do all day, and then, reality check, we couldn't make a living doing x, y, or z, so we mine as well stick with our current situation.  Insert a few insightful thoughts and skip to the end of the post where it says don't overthink your purpose.  Your heart will lead you to your purpose, not your mind; your mind is just along for the ride.  Do what you love, be who you are, and the rest will fall into place.
   Now, I realize most people are probably like- ugh, whatever, easier said than done (especially when you are in situations in life that you truly hate).  But for me, the post was refreshing, because this is how I live my life, and I've always felt a little odd--and almost apologetic--for living this way.  I don't really have big dreams or huge future goals... I just sort of, well, live.  Day to day, month to month, year to year.  I do think about the future, but I don't really 'plan' it.  I don't know what my 'true purpose' in life is, in fact I'm pretty sure I haven't found it yet... but I also don't go searching for it.  Of course I daydream (hello, blog title), but I've never considered this as a way to escape or a desire to change my life, instead, I think it enriches it.  Sometimes elements of my daydreams get incorporated into my life.  In fact, I think my daydreams help me figure out who I am, what I like/think/care about.  
   In a country (and in my case city) where defining who you are seems so important in life, I found this post on, well, not defining who you are refreshing :o)
   And, I do think that when you stumble across a daydream that just seems to align with your life, with what you want, you'll just know, and that's when you'll set those bigger goals, and make a game plan.  But if you overthink it, if you search for it too hard, you'll miss living in the now, which in the end is what's really going to help you find what you're looking for to begin with ;o)

~S

No comments:

Post a Comment